Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, April 12, 2010

iNew perspective on Lang Lang

I've taken music lessons from musicians from all over the world... Korean, Japanese, Americans, British, Australia and of course here in Singapore... studying voice, trumpet and piano... And no matter to whom of the above i go to advice for, they will tell me to simply be more FREE in my playing/singing.

A few posts ago, I remembered posting about how I don't really like Lang Lang's style of playing. He seems over-vibrant at times, overly immersed into the music, occasionally making weird facial and body expressions and tends to sound too hard on the bass notes at times, thus the some Americans label him "Bang Bang".

My perception of Lang Lang changed when my teacher made me watch 9-year-old piano prodigy Emily Bear. When asked where her music came from, Emily simply said, "It just comes out of my hear. Just comes out from me." and smiles... Watch the video I uploaded below and realise that it's such a joy to watch her express herself on the keys freely, with no sense of self-consciousness, as her fingers make big leaps over the keys with fluid ease...

And I believe it is this child-likeness that Lang Lang still possesses up til this day. As he strikes the first note of a sonata or concerto, he dives in another world that is made up in his childlike imagination and then which is interpreted to the listeners through his playing. It is as if it doesn't matter who he's playing to, obama or some kid who just started the piano, he will play it the same way because he plays well regardless of who is listening to him... He has thrown his self-consciousness away.

When I play the piano, i think of whether my parents think that i'm improving or whether my neighbours are enjoying my playing or frantically trying to find ear plugs. But until I throw my self-consciousness when it comes to music away, i will never be able to paint the picture that it is my heart for my audience to hear:) so now!! my self-consciousness shall be gone!!!

And outside of music, self-consciousness has a far more negative impact on us. It inhibits from being who we truly are. We end up wanting to be like someone else. We end up hating ourselves and forgetting that you are made special just the way you are and you do not have to be following others to gain their approval! Trash the exclusive cliques!! And you shall be free of the pressure to become someone else and finally be free to become the best YOU you can be!!

yf