Finally... The 2 years of army are over!! It had been the longest 2 years of my life. I give thanks to God for bringing me through the 731 days of serving in the Engineer Training Institute as a clerk. I don't have to prove to anybody that my job can be really tough at times, and there were certain period of times where I was at wits end and about to break down, but God is always good to me and He had delivered me from those bad times too.
I've also learnt a few good lessons in the army, and I've certainly gotten street smart too. Professionalism is something that I have caught hold of during my time in the Course Admin Section. It is really important to do the job with pride, or at least give people that impression. And that means that every little detail has to be taken care of, e.g. the alignment of paragraphs, the colour of the grey shadings in the first row of the table, when to write in capital letters, how to write emails... There was no formulae to follow and looking back, I am glad to have learnt things the hard way and to also feel confident about the things that you are doing.
Dealing with people is the other thing. Especially dealing with difficult people. The fact that the Army is full of such people has provided me with many samples and specimens to sharpen my communication skills.
But the best part of my time in the Army is getting to know these dudes... They weren't just awesome company, but great brothers too. I was resigned to not having any 'brothers-in-arms' as long as I am a clerk, but these guys proved me wrong. They are a great blessing to me and my main motivation to wake up every morning to book in... I thank God for them and I pray for the reality of God to come through in their lives...
