This mail was sent via facebook, on the evening of Sunday, 8 May 2011. What's here was what I sent George Yeo, word for word exactly.
Note: it was sent before his plans to step out of politics.
Dear Mr Yeo,
I’m sorry for your loss last night. It is also a loss for Singapore. I’m 24 this year, a first time voter, and also a resident in Aljunied GRC. Most of my peers and even my juniors are very sad to see you go, as you have always taken the effort to reach out to the youth in Singapore even though it is not part of your portfolio as the minister for foreign affairs. We really appreciate it. I’ve read Tom Plate’s (a professor for journalism in UCLA) book and he described you as “one of modern diplomacy’s brightest minds”, which I agree. But if there was one thing that I thought you could have done better was to keep Singaporeans more up to date on the Ionescu incident as many of us feel a deep sense of injustice about it.
The video you posted on fb really touched me, even though my decision was made a long time ago. Please continue to be a voice for the youths. Youth issues are hardly addressed by the parliament, nor Dr Balakrishnan. At most, only issues regarding youths-at-risk are mentioned. ‘Average’ youths are often left out.
For one, we would like to have more access to ‘alternative’ career paths, e.g. music. For example, ever since the pioneer batch of students from the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music graduated, less than a handful are in the Singapore Symphony Orchestra. I was once in the Singapore Youth Orchestra (albeit in the ‘reserves’) and there was this fellow trumpeter about 4 years my senior, whom we regarded as the country’s best. But upon graduation from the conservatory, he ended up with an admin job in the National Arts Council. I do not know him personally but I think it’s a great pity for someone of his talent and ability with the trumpet to not be in Singapore’s only professional orchestra, which of course is made up mostly of foreigners. I say we should stop losing our local talents to other orchestras.
Another issue is the soaring property prices. I know it has been hot on everybody’s lips but not many realise that it is one major deterring factor preventing young couples from settling down.
Please stay in Aljunied GRC and continue to serve us. On another note, I know you do your rounds here, but I for one haven’t seen you personally. I’ve stayed here since I was one, which means I was here since Cheng San. Help us, the younger generation. Give future first-time voters the reason to vote you back into the parliament.
Thanks for serving my community all these years, and I certainly hope that you’ll be back.
Cheers and God bless you,
Yufan
