I just watched the movie version of Nodame Cantabile. While it was awesome, it also made me realise how hard it was to be objective when it comes to music. In the movie, Nodame played Mozart’s Sonata no. 12 in A. In the cinema, it sounded really good cos I got to see the lovely Nodame portrayed by my favourite Ueno Juri, playing one of my favourite piano sonatas. However, it sounded over-lively at times and towards the end, even sounded kinda like she was banging on the keys and getting too ‘high’, almost sounding like Lang Lang. But, I thought it still sounded awesome cos Nodame seemed so happy!
In case you don’t know, I’m not a big fan of Lang Lang’s style.
However, when the credits were rolling, I saw this line, “All Nodame music performed by Lang Lang”. While in my mind, in made me go “Ahhh, I was right”, I also realised that if I were to hear and know that Lang Lang was playing it instead of Nodame, I wouldn’t have liked it as much. Or was it simply due to the fact that Nodame seems so much more attractive to me than Lang Lang?
yf
