Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 25, 2008

Looking Back On CVSS CLASS

Excerpts from the paperback ver. of 'the confessions of a desperately sick heart'...

Every CLASS camp I've attended has been a challenge. Don't get me wrong, because I love challenges! And it ain't that I didn't like the students either. Honestly, upon looking back on every CLASS camp I've attended, every single experience had been joyful ones. This CLASS camp with Compassvale Sec (CVSS) had been like every single other CLASS camp attended in that sense, both challenging and enjoyable!

The moment that is the most anticipated and dreaded (this is turning out to become an entry of contradictions) of every CLASS camp is meeting the students of your group for the very first time.

'Are they gonna be 'on the ball'? Are they gonna be a noisy and cheerful bunch? Are they gonna be the quiet kind?'

All these questions were constantly eating away on my brain as the days led up to the start of the camp.

Seeing them for the first time, my jaw dropped and heart sank, honestly and not literally. I had a hard time trying to engage their attention and motivating them during the activities. They didn't fall under my so-called ideal bunch of campers. They seem bored when other campers were drowned in their own laughter during the icebreaker games. I hit the all-time low as a mentor when I had to teach them a cheer (with actions too!) when they couldn't come up with one despite repeated coaxing. That was a first in both sense. As I demonstrated and asked them to follow after me, their lips hardly budged and their limbs barely moved an inch! They seemed to have an affinity for the floor, always looking down at it while I'm talking. The ceiling would seem to be their next best choice. My 'yes-no' questions were answered with blank stares.

However, I would be dealing grave injustice to them if I were to allow the thought that I harboured manifest into my actions. So I decided to put in my all to be the best mentor they can have! But in my heart, I was asking,

'God, am i that terrible as a mentor?? What can I do to make them enjoy this camp?'

The Lord is good (as usual) and He answered my prayers when I saw the group liven up as the camp went on and the campers learning sessions of facilitation with them. Right after dinner on the first night, we had The Amazing Race and I was really glad to see the group opening up and getting excited!

Although the Trojans (yes that's our name) didn't win any of the games, it was really heartwarming to see them all grow and learn, even in this short period of three days. They made new friends, gradually shared and opened their hearts up to me, and I even sensed a breakthrough in the closure activity. I felt the forging of a bond to commit to one another for this project and a newborn perseverance from within to see this through, and striving for excellence.

Throughout the camp, I could see individuals within the group rise up to certain occasions and exceeding my expectations of them, albeit with a slight tendency to be a little slow to respond to me.

Kelvin was one of the campers. The manner in which he sacrificed his comfort to clean up the toilet during the home-cleaning and area cleaning and his afterthoughts for the SL experience was one of the highlights for me in this camp.

Kevan was always the one to voice out his opinions more freely. I remember the way he registered his displeasure of the group being singled out for hiding the game cards. Together with his willingness to learn, I see those traits as his strengths that contribute to his leadership potential.

Jasmine was one of the floor starers. But I saw her perform very well for The Amazing Race, leading the team at one of the stations. I think she did a very good job at it.

Yong Thye started the camp seeming not very interested, but ended it somewhat changed. His hearfelt sharing after the closure activity showed that he had learned what it takes to become an effective leader. I saw a boy stepping out of his usual self to speak with honesty and maturity.

Wei Cong actually reminded me of myself when I was his age. The way he decided to start making constructive contributions to the team late in the camp let me know that under that goofiness, there is a heart of willingness to help his friends. It was really sporty of him to be our mascot too!

Sihui is the one who will bring the team back together by focusing on the task when everyone seems to drift off. She sets an example for the rest through her quiet ways. I really appreciated the efforts from this strong young lady.

Belinda and Supansa, the two netballers, were really quiet and didn't even answer any of my questions when I asked them. But like the rest, they gradually opened up during the camp. I really appreciate their contributions, though few, but valuable, e.g. during the mascot designing and COMPASS.

I really love my group!! And I love my fellow mentors too! It was great to serve the Lord alongside my friends. Not to mention sleep beside Charles and Eugene too. Heehee~! It reminded me of the Kranji Sec and SJC CLASS camps @ sparkC, when I shared a tent with Charles. And I'm glad that Eugene and I had put the NTSS incident behind us. I've got to know Jon much more during the camp. He actually has a flair for nagging ya know... And Ivan is actually quite goofy too! Charissa actually seems to be born with the gift of connecting with youths! Huixuan is so meticulous in her preparation larz, and it seem to do her plenty of good, I must learn from her example!! Chui Mei can be quite stern-looking when talking to the students, scaryz... Yvonne and Rach did really well as logtors!! They had to be log and mentor at the same time ya know, tough on them... Most of all, thanks to Amos, who as usual, sets the standard and example for me and everyone else to follow...

All glory and praise to the Lord, who gave me the strength and will to continue to carry on in the camp. I spent the first night having a really good time with Him. I was exhausted but yearned for His presence. I meditated on the Psalm and wrote my prayer down to the Lord. There was this sense of dependence. I really was at my wits' end and I needed support from Him. I needed (and still do, all the time) His guidance and wisdom to continue the camp. And indeed, He had blessed me throughout, provided me with the enthusiasm and spirit to lead my group, not forgetting working through the hearts of the students and teaching them the heart of servant leadership.