How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
According to Ps Melvyn, to sit in the seat of the scoffers can be defined as having a settled attitude on understanding the way of God, yet scoffing it by not following His way
Ps CSL also mentioned 2 weeks ago that if I were to see my so-called mentoring as simply bringing the kids to have fun in the arcade, I wouldn't be any different from sitting in the seat of the scoffers too.
I guess if I, as a christian is to do things no differently from the people of the world, then I've truely been, not only sitting, but warming the seat of scoffers. In the past, there have been times when I gave up on certain people, be it BB Boys or open cell members, giving myself the excuse that if they ain't interested or keen, why should I be forcing them... Well, I think if I to continue to adopt to that school of thinking, then how different would I be from the other people who have also given up on them?
Mentoring ain't just about leading. I don't have the textbook answer. But I believe mentoring is essentially bringing the best out of people, setting yourself as a shining example of the words of advice you give and being someone whom the mentees will share their problems freely with. Never giving up on them too. And I know I've failed when they are uncomfortable with sharing their problems with me.
