It's a dog-eat-dog environment in the army... And many would say the same thing for the world altogether, but at least I am sure the army is like this. You have no idea how much of a risk you are taking when you choose to be nice to someone. It is not only that the receiving end would most probably not reciprocate the act, but you are almost certainly never to hear a word of thanks. Yes, I am serious.
Monday, December 17, 2007
It's Pays (sometimes) To Be Nice...
So it goes, that in my 21 months in the army, I have took the bold move and tried my best to be nice. Though I have to admit too that I lose my cool at times... But if there's one thing I benefit from it, is that I've stepped on nobody's tail (except for one or two of them, that have really thick tails with huge piercing spikes on them and a flaming tip). And to be honest, I seldom enjoyed being the nice guy. Don't get me wrong though, I never took up the role of the softie.
Well, it's always good to choose to see God in the littlest details in life, something which I've never been good at. But there's something that happened today, which I feel is worth mentioning and thanking the Lord for.
This dude from another office came into mine to photocopy lots of documents. It is really irking me off that everybody's using our photocopier when other offices have it too. I let it go usually as it doesn't really does my office any harm, but we are very short on our supply of paper. We are left with only a single ream of it! Clearly, someone's not doing their job with the indentment of office supplies...
If that dude is going to ask me for more paper, I'm going to give a piece of my mind. And so, he did ask.
'Actually, you are supposed to bring your own paper when you come here to print your stuff,'
Seeing that he's new here, I relented a little.
'We are only left with one ream of paper. You can help yourself at the shelf. BUT bring your own paper next time.'
And yep, there wasn't a word of thanks... He finished up his last few pages and left in a hurry... Bummer...
A minute later, he came back, smiling, and waving a ream of paper at the door of my office... Well, now I know that I've made a new friend today.
Posted by
yufan
at
3:42 PM
