Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Date With LimY

My guests for tonight were Jang and Kelvin, two twenty-year-olds whom are recognised as gifted youths who seem to possess the mind of thirty-year-olds. The honour is mine to have had the two of them on the first episode of the show.

As time is drawing the curtain on 2007, our conversation drifted towards how the year had been for each one of us. I didn't get to share as I went to take my order of a verti green tea latte and a slice of orea cheesecake (which would be the first serving of real food I had in 2 days as I can't chew on my food now). Kelvin poured his heart out on how fulfilling the duties of serving in the ministry had taken a toll on him. Somehow, that struck a chord with me, to know that I ain't the only one to have that thought. It has been weighing down on me as it seems hard to justify that fatigue, as the stuff we are doing are nothing compared to what previous generations have done. It almost feels shameful to carry that thought.

Kelvin went on. After a chat with Evan, his spiritual dad, he learnt that such burnouts can only mean one thing, it's time to re-immerse in the presence of God.

As cell leaders, all three of us, I never fail to be amazed by the grace of God. Even when life is never smooth sailing, God is still able to use us as vessels to bring a blessing to the youths placed under our charge. Yet in the past, I used to think that church leaders are able to speak into our lives only because their lives are complete and flawless.

So I had to ask the question that 'opens the door to a view of the mountains', and transformed the light chat over coffee into a heated debate moving into overdrive. Is leadership a sign of holiness?

Hold your thoughts and read on. What I mean by holiness is a strong and firm relationship with God, in prayer, word and spirit. And what I mean by leadership, simply is, leading a cell group.

Does holiness lead up to leadership? Or does leadership signify holiness?

It was a failure on my part to capture the highlights of this discussion down on my notebook, which was on 'sabbath' in my bag. But to salvage the situation, I asked my guests to give their own versions of the final verdict.

Jang commented that when one grows and matures in his relationship with God, he is being developed into a holier person, and having people put under his charge would naturally become part of the process. She was firm on her stand even though I gave her examples of persons we look up to but do not 'lead a cell group of three at least'. Her strong faith in the G12 vision and her ideas on being marketplace ministers seem to reinforce her views. To Jang, when a person is faithful to God and is successful in his job, he will influence peers, subordinates and superiors in Christ-like fashion, having colleagues to become cell members would be part of the flow.

Kelvin's statement seems to bring the larger picture into view and deeper into the understanding of our God. He believes that at the end of it all, God chooses His own time to reveal His plans for us. Our job is really made simpler when we are reminded to love God, and then do anything we want.

'Would you have any regrets if you were to end your life and have never been a leader?' I took my parting shot.

In all calmness and assurance he replied that as long as he knows that he has accomplished what God has called him to do, he would not have any regret.

And as we retired to our cosy homes at the end of the show, I feel glad to have friends like them. Friends who have found their identity, confidence and strength in Jesus. Friends who point others toward the Son.

How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He will be like a tree firmy planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And his leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.
The wicked are not so,
But they are like chaff which the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgement,
Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
For the LORD knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the wicked will perish.