Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

For The Tooth Fairy...

I had my first ever wisdom tooth extraction this morning at 1000hrs.


It had turned out much worse than I thought. The dentist gave me a anesthestic jab on my right lower jaw, and then as if to play safe, he gave me 2 more jabs... I was afraid that I may never be able to feel my lower jaw again... Within half a minute, the anesthesia kicked in and I couldn't feel my tongue, my right cheek, and basically, the entire lower right portion of my face...


I was given a pair of goggles to be worn, and a mask was then stretched over it... (?!) 'To cover your eyes', the nurse mentioned that in an icy tone...


I couldn't really remember what the next thing was, perhaps the drug got to my head, but it felt like a screw was twisted into my tooth in order to attach a handle for it to be pulled out with brute force... There was no pain, but the four hands crowded over my face and the touch of icy cold metal instruments in my mouth as if digging for gold in my teeth was enough to make me grip on tightly onto the armrests...


Next, it was the drill blade that took over the lead role... It signalled the climax of the session, and my knuckles turned white as I tighten my grip on the armrests, as if hanging on for my dear life... As the blade sawed through the enamel of my tooth, the nerves in it were severed and pain seared through the gums, down through my spine... The smell of the iron in my blood and the burning enamel nearly knocked me out... Before starting the surgery, the doctor said that I could raise up my left hand to signal that I am in pain and then he will apply more anesthesia... No way! This lasted for about 10 minutes.


The loud buzzing noise ascended in a crescendo as if reaching the finale of a symphony, and I was about reach my limit and crack, clamping my jaws on any fingers still left in my mouth... Then finally, 'the tooth has been extracted, we are gonna clean up the wound'.


The mask was removed and once again, I see the light... After rinsing, I listened to the dentist as he gave tips on taking care of the wound... Before leaving the room, I asked for the remnants of my tooth...


Sadly, that was only the beginning of the ordeal... Upon reaching home, I realised that the wound seems to be like the mouth of a volcano, spilling dark-coloured blood out of it... And the worst part was that I can't even convince people that my IQ is higher than a hundred, as I couldn't feel my tongue and my speech was terribly slurred... I attempted stuffing morsels of pau into my mouth but each time I opened up, I tasted more blood at the back of my tongue...


At 3 pm, the condition didn't improve at all... But my hunger, combined with the misery, was about to make me break... So I grabbed the tub of ice-cream from the freezer and ate it... I ignored the throbbing aches and continued chewing on the melon bits... And surprise surprise!! That seem to bring my face back to life again!!


Newaez, thanks for the prayers, and I thank God as He allowed me see the humour in this experience...