Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Icy Sparks - Dare To Be Different


This is a great book with a vanilla-plain main character, Icy Sparks, whom we can all relate with regardless of your gender. In the story, Icy has a disorder which causes her body to break out in tics and curses involuntarily. In school, her disorder caused her to be satirised by her schoolmates and she had found it impossible to befriend anyone. Ashamed of her condition and shunned by the townsfolk, Icy spent most of her youth in isolation, avoiding people and defending herself. Her only friend was Miss Emily, who was an outcast like her, cos of her elephantine build...
I couldn't help it but to feel somewhat connected to Icy... Don't we all have our own unique ways that cause us to stand out and be different from the rest? Ain't we often pressurised to behave just like 'everyone else' and be 'normal'? Well, I have...
Cos of my eczema, nobody wanted to partner me when we are asked to get into 2 lines, cos partners had to hold each other's hands. I was even accused to have leprosy and everybody feared that if they were to touch my hand, they will get the same disease too... Well, I remember my form teacher, Mrs Foo, asked the class, 'who wants to be Yufan's partner?', nobody raised up their hand except for this girl. I can't even remember her name now, but back then, she was my first crush. She removed the dread of lining up to go for recess from this young fella...
Icy Sparks has taught me to think twice before doing a double take on someone I see on the street who's different from the rest... Won't the world be horrendously boring and not to mention eerie if everybody were to look the same, dress the same, sound the same, walk the same way and does the same job? All things big and small, the Lord God made them all! So no matter if you are fat, skinny, ugly, got a voice like a duck, got curly hair, got little hair, or different from the person next to you in any way, God still loves you!
You ain't weird, you are special!! So am I!! ;)