Chelsea striker, Didier Drogba. He is seen as the epitome of the arrogance, good fortune and nose-in-the-air attitude of the Blues. Seeing his face evokes emotions such as annoyance, frustration and pure anger. Bile rises up to my mouth whenever I see him score a goal.
Welsh wing wizard, Ryan Giggs. Symbol of Manchester United's dominance in English football, smooth-flowing counter attacks and bochup-gungho attitude. His wonder solo effort against Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup semfinal replay made me fall in love with the Red 'Devils'.
The rising antagonism between the Red Devils and the Blues set the stage for the perfect curtain raiser to the English football season. Everything looked rosy for Man Utd as the beat their closest rivals (currently) in the curtain raiser, the Community Shield.
Fast forward 2 weeks, Man Utd lie pathetically 5 points adrift of 2nd placed Chelsea with only 3 games played. And oops, did I forget to mention that Man Utd is in 16th place now? With only 1 goal to count for out of 270min of total dominance on the pitch and with only 2 pathetic points out of a possible 9. Well, the last time Man Utd won the title with such a bad start was the 03-04 season. I certainly am praying for a repeat of that!
With the demise of Man Utd's title defence all but sealed, I am announcing my defection from the Red 'Devils'. I see no point in getting myself sad over such lucklustre performances and poor results.
In cell group last week, Man Utd was part of 'My Space'. And I have learnt that I should give it up readily if it should affect me in my walk with God... In the past, I used to smash up things when results do not go in the favour of the Red half on Manchester. I wake up the next morning feeling depressed and sulky. I have allowed the result of a football match get into the way of receiving God's love for me which is new every morning!!
Attending a funeral service 2 weeks ago made me realise that many things in my life ain't contributing to eternity. While God gives us hobbies and passions, I believe they should be utilised in a way to glorify Him and expand His kingdom. But beware, for it may get into the way between you and God without one's conciousness if one ain't careful!
But I have faith that the real Man Utd will stand up and be counted this Sun at Old Trafford and give Tottenham a footballing masterclass!!
