Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 28, 2009

what killed to the radio??

It's funny how I thought that I would never reminisce on the distant past like some old foggy. Or at least not do that in the near future.

If possible, I'd like to ask all other twenty two year old Singaporeans what they miss most about their primary to early secondary school life.

Just a week ago, I burnt $599 on a Bose Sounddock Portable. It sounds great, very crisp, not too bass heavy like how ah bengs and clubbers love it. I bought it simply cos all of my music is in my mp3 player now and the only time I get to savour it is on the car when I plug it into the auxillary jack.

So that got me thinking, what was life like before I got mp3s...

Many nights were spent, not doing any of the following:
1. youtube
2. msn
3. watching football on cable
4. or watching any cable tv cos there i only got it during JC days
5. blogging
6. blog-hopping
7. blog shopping
8. or anything else related to staring aimlessly at a computer screen
9. and how can i forget facebook

Choices were limited, and that made me happier actually. Nights were spent doing either one of the following:
1. radio (98.7 in primary school and 93.3 in secondary school)
2. non-cable TV (which I shall talk about another day perhaps...)
3. ICQ and IRC, which gives me the ability to be anybody I want, unlike msn or facebook...
4. Playing my yoyos
5. chatting on the phone, which up to til now, I prefer over icq, irc, or fbook...

I simply miss the radio. How did I ever abandon it? It was always there for me. It cheered me up and made my life colourful. It spoke into my life... Gave me hope when the girl I liked didn't talk to me, encouraged me to press on whenever I didn't manage to get her attention... Most importantly, it gave me something in common to talk about with my friends, which can be the hardest thing to do these days... What happened to 'live' dedications?? I started off buying fancy paper from Popular to write my dedication requests to Glenn Ong on the Ego Trip, then it got simplified into doing it over the Perfect 10 website, then became bland when it got reduced to SMSes. Then now, I don't even think call in dedications exist anymore. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Yes, perhaps radio was better in the past. Deejays like Glenn Ong, Jean Danker, Carrie Chong, Howie, Ivan Rantung were my idols. When you hear them, you know that they are doing it 'live' from the studios... So much is recorded now. Deejays spoke less and played more music. And when they did speak, I wasn't turned off.

K-Ci & Jojo, Natalie Imbruglia, Jewel, Madonna, The Corrs, and the artistes of many other nice songs which I never knew the names of. Boybands actually sounded quite good back then really... Nsync, Bsb, etc... I think I miss sleeping with music in the background...

Ironically, that was the reason for purchasing the Sounddock, which doesn't have an FM tuner, neither does the iPod... Perhaps iPod killed the radio...

Heck, and I don't even have a radio in my room now... Perhaps I should have bought a hifi instead...

If you miss the radio like I do, perhaps the best way to recapture that feeling of sleeping to music is to stick to bedtimes after all... Your skin and hair will look better after that too, trust me on that... Any free FM tuner with earphones can do the job actually...

But I also believed radio back then was better, be it 98.7 or 93.3. Back then, it was more music and less talk