Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We think we know about Obama and McCain, but WE DON'T


Singaporeans, in general, know too little about what is really going in the US presidential elections. Most of us support Obama. In fact, all of the friends whom I've asked their views on the elections have indicated their support for Obama. Why?

Here are three of the most common responses I can recall...
1. "He's black, and it'd be good for America to have a black president."
2. "I dunno."
3. "His policies are good."

I would say that the first and third responses are valid. In fact, the first reason is a powerful one. But as for the third one, the most common answer that I hear when I ask my friends which of his policies do they think are good, is "I dunno". The only person I can recall who knows the differences between McCain and Obama and their views is Charmaine Tay.

So what?
We know too little about the US presidential election. Most of us are also unable to point out the differences between McCain and Obama when it comes down to issues such as education and healthcare. Yet most of us throw our support at the Democrat Party's presidential candidate. Why is this so?? I can only come up with two reasons... One; the role of the media and it's portrayal of both candidates. And two; Obama's charisma. I shall not go into the first reason.

Who did I support?
And it started with his charisma, something which I didn't feel comfortable with. I had the same views as MM Lee. The bottom line is, I ain't impressed with smooth talkers. Sure, his speeches sounded good... But he's inexperienced... And as a person leaning towards the right myself, I am not really for the democrats. I am pro-life. I am against the withdrawal of American troops in Iraq as I believe that it will create a power vacuum that will result in greater chaos.

The turning point
But at 5.30pm yesterday afternoon (early Tuesday morning in America), I somehow decided to give myself the chance of seeing the bigger picture, the key differences between McCain and Obama. A check out on some of the websites changed my views on both of them forever... Ok that sounds a bit dramatic, but it's true... I am for Obama as of 6.00pm yesterday (6.00am Tuesday morning in Washington)

The breakdown
So what made me change my mind? To sum it all up before I go into details, it's about CHANGE... McCain may be pro-life and anti-withdrawal, but what he has basically offered to the people of America is pretty much the same as George W Bush! I ain't no fan of Bush, but from what I read about on the internet and cable news, the Americans really hate him. It doesn't then mean that I hate Bush too, but what's the point of choosing a president who is basically saying something like, "Hey, if you are perfectly happy with your life now, vote for me, cos I ain't gonna change a bit of it." McCain has also been found to have various discrepancies between what he used to vote for in the past, as a senator, and what he is saying now, as a presidential candidate.

My support for McCain was already waning. I turned in favour of Obama because he doesn't just seem to be a smooth talker, he is a smooth talker who has laid out certain plans and proposals to bring CHANGE into America.

Key Issues (to me, a non-American)
1. China
McCain has called China's economic boom a concern, and believes that China's rise justifies a stronger US military. This guy basically wants war!
Obama sees China as neither a friend nor foe, but as a competitor. He is interested in improving relationships with them.

2. Iran
McCain would use military force to prevent Iran from developing nuclear powers. Once again... this guy can't wait to see some explosions, not to mention the loss of lives of American soldiers that come along with wars.
Obama would engage in direct talks with Tehran and refused to say if he would consider military action. It does sound naive, but wars don't solve anything.

3. Iraq
McCain voted to support a joint resolution to authorise the use of United States Armed Forces in Iraq as a senator in Oct 2002. He also supports the present troop increase and favours maintaining troop levels in Iraq. He is against a withdrawal in the near future.
Obama, in a April 07 debate, said, "There's no military solution to this. We've got to have a political solution, begin a phased withdrawal, and make certain that we've got benchmarks in place so that the Iraqi people can make a determination about how they want to move forward."

4. Gun Control
McCain is against the banning of guns and heavy ammunition. He voted for the lifting of the ban of guns in Columbia.
Obama is for gun control.

5. Healthcare
McCain opposes universal healthcare. On this note, I wish to point out that in Singapore, we are receving universal healthcare.
Obama supports universal healthcare and would creat a national health insurance exchange to reform the private insurance market. A priority for him would be to promote affordable, accessible, and high quality healthcare.

CHANGE has come for America
And now, Barack Obama has won the race to the White House.

As I was listening to BBC World's coverage of the election results, I was moved to tears when the reporter interviewed a black reverend. He was in tears as he thought about the lives that were lost back then during the civil rights movement. In the words of President-elect Barack Obama, 'this has been a long time coming'.

I am glad that Obama will succeed Bush in the White House.

God bless America!