I didn't intend to do any blogging til my exams are over. But as I was doing my research on the topic of media in China, which I will be tested on in my exams, I delved deeper and deeper into it. I ended up watching these two videos that have changed my perspective on the ties between China and the West. I decided to put up a short entry about it.
On the midnight of 4 June 1989, the People's Liberation Army opened fire at student protesters with AK47 rifles at Tiananmen Square, Beijing. Inspired by Perestroika in the Soviet Union, the students were hoping for a democratisation of China. 2000 of them ended up killed by the very army that was supposed to protect them, who also opened fire at ambulances ferrying students to the hospitals.
Deng Xiaoping, then-leader of China and Chairman of the Central Military Commission, ordered the indiscriminate massacre of the protesters.
Politics and ideologies aside. I can find no word to describe my disgust, horror and anger for this tragic event in history. Nothing can ever justify the killings of these unarmed citizens. Not only were they slain by rifle shots, some were also butchered and crushed under the treads of armoured vehicles, or clobbered to death as they attempted to hide in public buses. To this day, the CCP has yet to be responsible for their actions.
It may have happened nearly 20 years ago, but such scars take more than a couple of decades to heal. No lawful society or person can ever stand up for such anarchy.
Friday, November 14, 2008
WARNING: this video might just change your life
Posted by
yufan
at
8:34 PM
