The book beside my bed now would be 'The Intepretation Of Murder' by Jed Rubenfield. By the way, it's awesome... It's a novel based on 1900's New York. Upon turning the pages, I was starkly reminded by how far technology has progressed over the past century. No longer are messengers nor horse carriages used these days. The automobile, which would have been a rare sight at the start of the 20th century, is now sprawled densely across the urbs.
I've been observing the behaviour of MRT passengers of late. No, I'm no voyeur. Most lone travelers will be plugged in to their iPods, going trigger happy on their portable game consoles or using their phones, oblivious to the ongoings of the world around them. I was startled to see couples sitting side by side playing their games and furiously commenting on their situations in the virtual reality. I believe technology was meant to bridge the gap between people, but it seems like it has caused people to be more isolated.
Do you remember the times, which already seem moons ago, when you did not have your handphones nor pagers, and there was no msn or icq. How were appointments with friends arranged? I remember that I had to call them about 2 days in advance about it, then call again the night before to remind them, and then turning up on time the next day cos if you turn up late, there's a high chance that your friend may have been sick of waiting and gone home. Note that you had to specifically state your meeting point and the waiting party can't walk around in fear of losing sight of latecomer.
Nowsaday, as easy it is for appointments to be arranged, the higher the probablity of your friends being late or worse, pang say you. It's so much easier now, just sms a friend about 10min before the arranged meeting time and say you can't make it, or you are on your way when you actually just woke up. Technology is also meant to bring about convenience. But sincerity and integrity seems to be part of the bargain too.
In that process, the word 'sorry' seems to have lost it's worth and value. It's very simple to agree on a certain thing (not just appointments) and equally simple and convenient to say 'I am sorry, I am busy'.
Pondering upon all these has brought some light to me on the importance of Ps CSL quote, 'Say what you mean and mean what you say'. Man, I've been guilty of taking the words from my own mouth too lightly. I won't state the examples here... It shall be reserved for the paperback version of 'Confessions of a Desperately Sick Heart'.
When Amos addresses the 99th Coy, I sense the weight in each and every of his word and action. When Amos speaks, 99th listens. The Boys know that he says what he means and means what he says.
I guess that's an area that I've gotta be working on.

